I’m gonna get straight to the point… ”I like to talk and I like to think!” Now that we have laid the groundwork, let’s see what God’s word says abut this.
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. James 1:19
Although I like to talk and I like to think, Over the years and on a daily basis, God has been revealing to me the process of how to do this within my gifts and personality type. This takes effort and below are some of the things that I do: 7 Ways To Be Quick To Listen and Slow To Speak
- Think before I talk- Process internally first, then externally.
- Talk to the necessary audiences- Do these people need to hear this message? Does what I’m saying really matter?
- Care about what people are saying- If I don’t care about what people say, I’m not listening… Like it or not, Listening=Caring!
- Ask clarifying questions- Ask follow-up and clarifying questions to ensure that I’m not just hearing what’s being said. There is a difference between hearing and listening.
- Follow-up with yourself- I process meetings, messages and conversations that I have had with others and evaluate what I said, how they received it etc.
- Slow to get angry- This should be a no to get angry; I try to never loose my cool. If I loose my cool, I loose my audience. You can get upset, but in my opinion “If you show it, you blow it!” This is really important!
- Ask someone- Ask a friend, spouse, co-worker or family member “Am I quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry?” Depending upon their answer, ask them how you can get better in the area they identify. Seek God, Learn from situations and Apply it daily. SEEK, LEARN, APPLY!
My dear brothers and sisters take note of this: Although I am not all the way there, I am becoming quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. How about you? Share your thoughts!