I previously shared a post entitled “7 Deadly Sins Of Twitter.” This was a very popular post and one of the more prominent Deadly sins that I shared was Envy. Many of the comments and Re-Tweets made reference to this particular Twitter Deadly Sin.
I thought I would un-pack Twitter Envy a little further with these 5 Signs Of Twitter Envy. Remember: “Envy is the tribute that mediocrity pays to genius, hard-work, success and the appearance of success…”
5 SIGNS Of TWITTER ENVY
- Making Fun- IF you find yourself making fun of or talking about certain Tweeps. Making statements like “He/She tweets the stupidest things, no one wants to hear that stuff.” When your Twitter attention and time is spent making fun of or talking about other Tweeps then you probably have Twitter Envy.
- I Should Have More Marbles Then They Do- If you find yourself always comparing marbles, I mean if you find yourself comparing the number of followers that you have, to the number of followers that other Tweeps have and thinking that you should have more, you probably have Twitter Envy.
- Comparing Influence- If you find yourself making statements like “They would never have this much influence in real life, I bet they couldn’t lead their way out of a paper bag in my world, They are just trying to build their brand…” You probably have Twitter Envy. Remember- No matter the arena, influence is something that must be earned over time.
- LOL & IOI- If you find yourself Laughing Out Loud (LOL) at what certain Tweeps are Tweeting and at the same time Irritated On The Inside (IOI) Then you probably have Twitter Envy. That little sign of (IOI) could be a symptom that a bitter/envious root is festering below the surface.
- D All of The Above– If you do any of the above, in addition to complaining about, talking about, questioning why certain Tweeps (Both Celebrity & Non-Celebrity) have a particular influence and you continue follow them… There is a very good chance that you could be the poster child for Twitter Envy.
The amazing thing about Twitter and any form of Social Media that it’s an Influence Earned Society; in other-words influence must be earned. Seth Godin eloquently outlines this principle in his book Tribes. Reminder (Free Of Charge)- You don’t have to follow someone if you don’t want to! Here is a prison video that I shot dealing with the deadly sin of Envy. If you experience or notice signs of Twitter Envy, feel free to use the hashtag #TE.
Love looks through a telescope and envy looks through a microscope.
What do you think? Share your thoughts on these 5 Signs and add some additional to the list.