My family and I just saw The Karate Kid this evening, as it was just released today. I’m not going to lie, my wife and I were just as excited to see the movie as our sons were. We made the decision not to let the boys watch the original The Karate Kid movies until after they had seen this one. I thought I would share some highlights, without totally ruining the movie.
The Above Video is a review straight from the mouths of my 7yo and 11yo sons, immediately following the movie.
- The movie had a great story line with some great life lessons.
- A little bit of a love story twist.
- There is a lot of action and fighting kicks off early in the movie and throughout.
- Jaden Smith “Dre” did an excellent job acting and was definitely believable.
- Jackie Chan “Mr. Hahn” demontsrtaed some classsic Jackie Chan moves and did an amazing job of playing an older character than we are used to him playing.
- Taraji Henson “Sheri Parker aka Dre’s Mom” did a solid job acting; however her role was somewhat forgettable.
- Overall Theme- New Kid On The Block Meets Bullies, Has A Crush On A Girl & Plenty of Fighting Throughout.
- “Jacket On, Jacket Off” is the new “Wax On, Wax Off.”
- There are couple of instances where “Dre” uses the word a$$. I thought they were tastefully appropriate and remember our 7yo and 11yo sons were with us.
- Favorite Quotes- 1. Being still and doing nothing are two different things. 2. Life can knock us down, but we can choose whether or not we get back up.
- Overall- I thought it was excellent, I don’t want to set expectations too high, but it was just a good solid movie.
- There are definitely enough questions and intrigue at the end to warrant a Karate Kid II.
- You will have to watch the video to find out what my son’s reviews were on a scale of 1-10.
The classic moment is that the movie ends with Jackie Chan “Mr. Han” and Jaden Smith “Dre” giving one another a #FistBump. So let’s end this review with a #FistBump. Put your fist to the screen… Now blow it up!
Are you planning on going to see the new The Karate Kid? If you have seen the movie, or plan on seeing it, please share your thoughts on my review or your personal thoughts on the movie.