Can You Recognize The Social Media Influencer? Well the obvious answer is yes, absolutely I can. You may even think of some of your favorite Social Media Influencers and why you follow them. Leading and influencing in the world of social media can sometimes be more difficult than leading/influencing in a traditional leadership/work setting.
The social media influencer has to lead purely through relational and content equity. There is no positional equity, hierarchical leadership or formal boss. The social media influencer has to answer this daily question for their followers: “Why should I listen to, or follow you?” In other words, what are you providing that makes people want to follow you; especially when there are thousands of others who are only a click away.
Social Media Influence is not simply about the numbers but rather about value. @Oprah has over 4 million followers on Twitter, however she hasn’t tweeted since May and therefore currently has zero Social Media influence. @Oprah definitely has potential, but so do every single person in the world of Social Media. Remember This – Potential unrealized is just potential.
On the other hand @revrunwisdom is probably one of the most influential individuals on Twitter. If he’s not the most influential, he’s definitely at the top, as he is the most re-tweeted Twitter user of all-time. Why is Rev Run so influential? It’s quite simple, he provides daily value to every single person in his twitter stream. He has found is unique voice which is sharing consistent daily morsels of wisdom. This is an extension of what he did for years prior to joining Twitter at the end of his TV Show Run’s House. He would close out his show with a quote typed onto his blackberry and end with a “God Is Love… ~Rev Run.”
5 Ways To Be Recognized as A Social Media Leader:
- 1.) Can You See What I’m Saying? Find your voice. Online voice should be a natural overflow of your IRL (In Real Life) voice. They should not be mutually exclusive, but rather one in the same.
- 2.) When You Look At Me Who Do You See? Don’t try to be a copycat or phony. Authenticity is crucial, so Keep it Real! “Do You! It’s A Statement… Not A Question.”
- 3.) Can I See You? Be accessible, helpful, respond to tweets, write a guest post for someone, remember that your online influence is based upon those who choose to follow or connect with you. Key word… choose! @RevRunWisdom is a rare breed in the fact that he doesn’t follow anyone. Accessibility is important, but not paramount See #2. (Be yourself.)
- 4.) Can You See My Muscles? Be willing to flex your Social Media muscle by tackling the tough issues, helping worthy causes and adding overall value to the online community.
- 5.) Can You See Me? People can’t follow you if you don’t give them anything to follow. Just like the newspaper, you need to deliver regular content. You don’t have to be hyperactive, just active. Write something, tweet something, share something! @oprah’s 4 million plus followers have probably forgotten that she even exists, at least from a Social Media perspective. Her worldwide television influence could be exponentially multiplied if she extended consistent reach to her social media community.
Thoughts? Who influences you in the world of Social Media and why?