I was recently going through some of my old leadership books in my personal library. I was reminded of some phraseology so eloquently coined by author Steven Covey in his book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Covey outlines the difference between living out of an abundance mentality vs. living out of a scarcity mentality.
I personally think this concept is so innate that people don’t realize which mentality they are operating out of. It just becomes part of our repertoire, they way we think, they way we view people and the way we orient our world.
People with a scarcity mentality tend to see everything in terms of win-lose. There is only so much; and if someone else has it, that means there will be less for me. Again, this is not about being malicious; it’s simply a way of thinking. You hold on to things, people, staff, and relationships with clinched fists.
People with abundance mentality tend to see everything in terms of win-win. The more you live with an abundance mentality, the more you are genuinely happy for the successes, well being, achievements, recognition, and good fortune of other people. You go out of your way to speak well of others, to help others, to elevate others, because you truly believe their success adds to — rather than detracts from.
- Scarcity – Not enough blessing to go around.
- Abundance – More than enough blessing to go around.
- Scarcity – I have to succeed and make sure that I look good.
- Abundance – If I succeed and you succeed, then we all succeed.
- Scarcity – I have all of the answers and I will determine how much you know or learn
- Abundance – I don’t have all of the answers, I will learn from you, you will learn from me, we will learn from others and we will share our learning’s with each other.
- Scarcity – Clinched fists.
- Abundance – Open hands.
- Scarcity – Dictate and Micromanage.
- Abundance – Openness and Trust.
It’s important to develop, believe in and encourage the success of those around you. There are enough of God’s blessings to go around, as a matter of fact there is a blessing around the corner with your name on it. Don’t simply focus on the win but rather the “Win, Win, Win!”
I Win, You Win, We Win! #Winning
Share your thoughts and experiences with the Abundance vs. Scarcity mentality.