I understand that the Kanye West joke about interrupting Taylor Swift about Beyonce having the best video of All-Time is a couple of years old, played out and has been over-used; however it’s still funny. This post is a simple post sharing 5 Basic Twitter Tips.
These tips are not according to Kanye, but according to me, they are the best of the decade… Top 5 Twitter Tips of All-Time: (insert interruption)
- 1. Take A Picture, It Will Last Longer – Make sure that your profile pic. is a real picture of you or your brand’s logo. The pic. should be a tight shot, preferably a head-shot, no full-lengths or far-away shots. Don’t waste your time with the Avatars as you are too unique to have some computer-generated version of you. Your profile pic. is one of the most important aspects of your twitter profile. People need to know who you are before they connect with you or listen to what you have to say.
- 2. Repeat What I Just Said – If you want to be re-tweeted there are a some things to keep in mind: Leave 18-20 characters available in your tweet; in addition to tweeting valuable, breaking, interesting, funny, inspiring, random and consistently good content.
- 3. You’ve Got Mail, You’ve Got Me Confused – Don’t confuse Twitter with e-mail. Stop thinking that you have to answer every tweet, read every tweet and when you miss some tweets stop feeling like your inbox is full. Imagine Twitter as a River and Not as a Lake… Twitter is not email!
- 4. What’s My Name – You should use your real name or brand name as your Twitter @ name. If your real name is not available, try using some combination of your name with the underscore or last name first etc. Similar to the dot.com boom, getting your name will prove to be valuable as time progresses; go ahead and secure your kids names as well. No one really understands your attempted cool names like: @mrbigshotguru @livingforchangetoday @johniscool @itweetabunch @MrsMrsexymama… Even President @BarackObama uses his real name.
- 5. Remember The Platinum Rule – Platinum is more precious and popular than gold, so we will change the rule formally known as The Golden Rule. The bottom line is treat people how you want to be treated: respond when necessary, occasionally RT others, be helpful, be nice, don’t be a twitter snob, be kind, have a sense of humor, don’t be a jerk (insert song) “You’re A Jerk!” etc.
I know some of you reading this may be thinking that your Twitter Tips are better, “I’m really happy for you and Imma’ let you finish… but these are the Top 5 Twitter Tips Of All-Time!”
Share your thoughts on these 5 Tips or add your favorites to the list.