Let me start this post off by saying, “I’ve had every version of iPad and iPhone that has ever existed.” My last iPad was the White iPad 2 which I rocked with a portfolio type Skinny Case. My iPad has always been my Technology Swiss Army Utility Knife of choice. I use it for web surfing, speaking, researching, reading books, music, videos…
Recently I left my iPad 2 in my rental car at Thrifty in Tampa, FL. (That’s crazy because I travel a lot and this has never happened.) Unfortunately it was not recovered and that’s an entirely different blog post. I’m still believing that it will be recovered, according to Find My iPhone it hasn’t been logged into wifi yet.
Prior to the incident of leaving my iPad in Tampa, I had purchased 5 iPad mini’s. Honestly, I was just a little excited that The Apple Store in #OKC happened to have them in stock while I was shopping. I thought they would make great Christmas gifts. 🙂
One of those 5 Mini’s ended up being an early Christmas gift to myself. Fortunately, I was able to restore my new iPad Mini from the last iCloud back up of my now “lost” iPad 2. I began browsing around my new little apple device before I headed out of town. My family and I were headed to Hawaii the day after I began using my iPad Mini. This trip is a combo speaking and vacationing trip. (I’m actually typing this post from my 19th floor balcony on Waikiki Beach.)
I have been using the Black iPad mini wifi only for a few days now and have come to the conclusion that I prefer it over the iPad 2. Below are 10 Reasons Why.
10 Reasons Why I Prefer The iPad Mini Over The iPad 2
- 1. Size Matters : The iPad Mini is actually the perfect size for a device of its type. The challenge I would have with my iPad 2 is the size with the case wasn’t a great deal smaller than a 13 inch MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. I would find myself getting my computer out instead of using my iPad.
- 2. The Palm Of My Hand : Being that I use my iPad Mini primarily for speaking and web browsing, I love the fact that I can grip it in my hand and easily walk around, read, maneuver and have total freedom without any fumbling, need for special hand grip cases or the need for two hands. I can easily grip the Mini with one hand.
- 3. Screen Display : I’m not a super technical Apple snob and I’m not even totally sure of the exact difference in display size. From the eye test I’ll say that the Mini is stellar and you can widen the margins and increase the font just a bit for perfect viewing. That observation is from a near 40 year-old who wears glasses.
- 4. The Look : The iPad Mini just looks great. The black one is super sleek and has a black matte back.
- 5. The Case : For the 1st time, I don’t feel like I need a fully enclosed case. I got the dark grey Smart Cover and I must say for the 1st time I think this case really is smart. Not smart because it wakes up the iPad Mini when you open it, I’m saying that because of the practical nature of it. I have the smart cover on front and the matte Ghost Armor on the back. The iPad Mini keeps it’s original sleek look, with full protection.
- 6. The Weight : The Mini feels like it doesn’t weigh much more than the iPhone 4s. The actual specs are (iPad Mini = 0.68 pounds and iPad 2 = 1.33 pounds). It basically weighs half as much. It’s so light that if you drop it, the damage will probably be minimal.
- 7. My Pocket : My pocket, the 16gig wifi is only $329. That’s great for my pocket and your pocket.
- 8. My Pocket Again : This is one of my favorite things about the mini. I can put it in my pack pocket. Yes, I’m serious it can go in my back pocket. Let me give the disclaimer that I don’t wear big pocket, old school, cargo, Fubu, South Pole, extra big pants. It can fit in my back pocket if I’m wearing a regular pair of skinny jeans, with the smart cover still on I might add. What’s key to this feature is having the smart cover and the Ghost Armor. You slide it in your back pocket with the smooth ghost armor side on your bottom and the smart cover facing outwards. I was able to walk on stage last night with my mini in my back pocket, pull it out, preach, put it back in my pocket and leave the stage. It’s not something that you are going to want to sit down on; however you can have it in your pocket until you get ready to sit down, prior to getting your car or whatever. If it can fit in my pocket I’m sure it can fit in the smallest of small lady’s purse. Did I mention, “I Love The Fact That The iPad Mini Can Fit In My Back Pocket.”
- 9. The Cameras : The front and back cameras on the Mini are definitely superior to the iPad 2. The front or Facetime camera is now a 1.2 mp HD camera, additionally it has added face detection and backside illumination. The regular camera has added: face detection, backside illumination, five-elements lens, hybrid IR filter and ƒ/2.4 aperture. These additions have also made the video recording much better.
- 10. Better and Smaller : The 1st reason was the fact that Size Matters… the bottom line is the iPad Mini is Smaller and it’s Better than the iPad 2. It’s distinctly the perfect size for a tablet device.
In no way am I saying I’m happy that I lost my iPad 2 in Tampa, FL. I do feel a little better that losing it forced me to dive in to using my new favorite Apple device.
Have you bought one? Are you thinking about buying one? Share your thoughts, experiences, observations and comparisons of the iPad Mini.