Seriously, this is a must watch video from this past Sunday at House Of Hope in Atlanta. Pastor E. Dewey Smith is an awesome man of God and I love his example of faith in this video and always. I know him, he’s a friend, this is the real deal and this is how he rolls in Jesus’ Name. I’d like to warn you if you are watching this in a quiet place or public place (like work or Starbucks) you may find yourself taking a praise break out and start shouting.
A couple of highlight moments and statements:
- They can perform CPR, but only God can give breath.
- Church Nurse: “He’s Gone… He was gone!”
- IV stands for I’m Victorious
- I’ve been telling y’all God is Real
We live in a world of to-do lists, goals and New Years Resolutions. Everyone is looking forward to starting something, going to the gym, starting the conversation, starting the journey… Instead of focusing so much energy and attention on what you need to start, you should try a different approach. How about focusing on the things you need to stop and awesome life results will be the natural by-product.
Try This! (In no particular order)
15 Things You Need To Stop Doing… Right Now!
- 1. Stop placing your job above your family.
- 2. Stop doubting yourself.
- 3. Stop believing the lies.
- 4. Stop settling for second best.
- 5. Stop procrastinating.
- 6. Stop making excuses.
- 7. Stop talking so much.
- 8. Stop trying to please everyone.
- 9. Stop comparing yourself to others.
- 10. Stop standing paralyzed in awe of the success of others.
- 11. Stop tippy-toeing on that line of sin.
- 12. Stop being consumed with what other people think.
- 13 Stop worrying about things that really don’t matter.
- 14. Stop Going, Going, Going without Resting, Resting, Resting.
- 15. Stop calling God a liar… He’s says “You Can” stop saying you can’t.
By far the best acceptance speech in the history of the MVP Award. Kevin Durant started by thanking God, he displayed humility, he never focused on himself, he gave personal credit to every single team member and coach, he reflected on the past, he talked about hard work and sacrifice, he shared stories, he made a special note to talk about Westbrook, he gave his mother the credit due and he ended with thanking God last. God is Alpha and Omega.
As a proud member of the Oklahoma City community and Oklahoma City family, I’m glad Kevin Durant is a part of our framily plan. Seriously this guy is a great example and as he stated, “He uses basketball as a platform to inspire others.”
This video is a must watch for anyone that leads, has children, has a desire to succeed or if you just need to cry some tears of joy.
We have all seen and walked through the automatic motion type doors at various businesses. It’s a simple concept, the heat motion opens the door as you are walking towards the door. The challenge for those doors, is that if you are outside of the motion area the doors won’t open.
In the picture above, if you are outside of those yellow barriers, there is a good chance the door won’t open. The same thing is true for God. When it comes to God opening doors, we have to make sure that we are in His motion, in His space, His presence, connecting with Him, reading His word, communing with Him, not denying Him and doing what His word says. This allows for God to better feel our motion. In other words, our presence in His presence.
“I see what you’ve done. Now see what I’ve done. I’ve opened a door before you that no one can slam shut. You don’t have much strength, I know that; you used what you had to keep my Word. You didn’t deny me when times were rough.” Revelation 3:8 MSG
In the above scripture, God opened the door for the Philadelphians once He was able to feel their motion. It was an after effect. Let God feel your presence and feel what you’re doing in His name. He will open doors that you don’t have the strength or ability to open and no one else has the power or ability to close.
Get In God’s Motion!
Today is the 2nd anniversary of the death of arguably one of the greatest vocalist to walk this earth. It’s crazy to think that it’s already been 24 months since Whitney Houston passed and the world had the opportunity to mourn the loss and witness her Homegoing/Celebration Of Life/Funeral Service. I’m a firm believer that you can find amazing life and leadership lessons in almost every situation and scenario. The good, bad and ugly are all opportunities to learn, if we will just be willing to open our eyes, ears and heart.
I’m reflecting back on some of the thoughts I had captured a couple of years ago during Whitney’s Funeral Service. My thoughts developed into some life and leadership lessons. These lessons echoed true then, today and will for years to come. Below are some lessons from the life of the one that we came to know as “The Voice.” Yes Whitney was called “The Voice” way before the singing competition was even envisioned.
5 Leadership & Life Lessons From Whitney Houston
- 1. You Have What It Takes – Kevin Costner said that although Whitney Houston was hugely successful, she still asked this question, “Am I good enough, pretty enough & will they like me?” His response was this, “You were great, beautiful & they loved you.” You have what it takes, you must truly believe it deep down inside.
- 2. God Does The Fixing – Whitney Houston was quoted saying these words, “Any way you fix me Lord, I’ll be satisfied.” There is a lot of power and humility in that quote. Lord I’m broken, I know I need fixed, not sure what fixed means, but I so desperately need whatever help you can give me.
- 3. You Have To Step Out To Find Out – As Whitney Houston’s Musical Director Rickey Minor talked about his experience with Whitney Houston singing the Star Spangled Banner. Rickey said they were trying to figure out how to make it special and they didn’t know what they were doing. Rickey said you have to step out and he said it this way, “God said Go For It, Go Ahead… We did it and it changed my life.” You have to step out to find out.
- 4. Stop Ridiculing & Give Love – Whitney’s death showed how easy it is for people to ridicule instead of seeing the bright side of things. Many people were quick to point out her challenges and shortcomings instead of the positives of her life. Whitney’s funeral showed what happens when people point out the positive aspects of someone’s life – It Inspires! Whitney’s bodyguard Ray Watson talked about what performers like Whitney go through just to give people a little entertainment. His final words were, “Stop Ridiculing & Give Love!”
- 5. Your Life Can Be A Larger Impact Than You Know – Whitney will go down as one of the best vocalists in modern day history. Whitney sold millions of records, in addition to making millions of people smile, laugh, sing and dance. Although she made an impact on this world before she left this earth, it’s arguable that her funeral may have had the most eternal impact of any artist to date. The world was watching as God’s orchestration of some of the most amazing communicators of the gospel. During a moment that many thought was going to be a low or sad occasion, God used Whitney Houston’s Homegoing Celebration to lift the name of Jesus High.
We are naive at best if we don’t understand how much Whitney’s life and funeral impacted the world with the Gospel. Pastor Rick Warren said it best during the funeral service when he tweeted this, “WhitneyHouston’s funeral shared the Gospel today with more people today than most of us ever will.”
Pastors often preach about generosity and encourage their attenders to give generously, while paying their staff the minimum they can get away with. Pastors preach about folks stepping into their destiny and calling, while becoming angry when one of their staff members steps into a calling that results in leaving their team.
Pastors often preach about rest, worship and time off, while their team members can’t remember the last time they had a day off, attended a worship service or had a couple free weekends with family. Pastors often preach about not comparing ourselves to one another, while obsessing, comparing and ranking themselves to pastors down the street, around the corner and from around the country.
Pastors preach about a lot of awesome, challenging, encouraging, convicting and life giving things. Each of us should remain forever grateful for what they do, how they do it and why they do it.
Of course the statements above don’t apply to every pastor. Church planters, be aware of it. If it doesn’t apply to you, be mindful of it. If the shoe fits, wear it.
Plain and simple… Pastors Need To Keep Calm And Practice What They Preach.
Pastor @StevenFurtick shares the comforting truth that, no matter where life has taken us or where we have taken ourselves, we still have reason to hope – because one decision can redirect our hearts toward God and drop us right in the center of His will.
Each and every year people go through life seeking affirmation from people and things. These places of affirmation leave people searching, empty and lost. For those that put their faith and trust in Jesus, their source of affirmation must come from a different place. They are a new creation with a fresh perspective of how they view themselves, what they say about themselves and more importantly a different understanding of what God says about them.
If you want to be successful and have an awesome 2014, its important not to focus on what people think and say about you. Instead focus on the many superlatives that God says about who you are and who you will become.
I pray this list of 14 truths God says about you can serve as a reminder, a source of encouragement and some inspiration for you kick down the doors of success in 2014 with some unbelievable God confidence.
God believes in you… it’s time to start believing in yourself.
- 1. I am a child of God. John 1:12
- 2. I have been set free. Galatians 5:1
- 3. I am not condemned by God. Romans 8:1
- 4. I am a new creation. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- 5. I am an overcomer in Christ Jesus. 1 John 5:4
- 6. I have been made complete in Christ. Colossians 2:10
- 7. I Can Do All Things Through Christ. Philippians 4:13
- 8. I am chosen, holy, and blameless before God. Ephesians 1:4
- 9. I have been blessed with every spiritual blessing. Ephesians 1:3
- 10. I am redeemed and forgiven by the grace of God. Ephesians 1:7
- 11. I am seated in the heavenly places with Christ. Ephesians 2:10
- 12. I have been brought near to God by the blood of Christ. Ephesians 2:13
- 13. I have wisdom, righteousness and redemption, in Christ Jesus. 1 Corinthians 1:30
- 14. I have boldness and confident access to God through faith in Christ. Ephesians 3:12
Check out this WestJet Christmas Marketing Magical Majestic Miracle and (any other awesome word that begins with an “M”) Masterpiece. This is how companies should think.
Just think about… this is awesome, I’m sharing it, you’re sharing it and since yesterday 1,000,000 others and counting have shared it.